When you have a home plumbing problem, a few moments planning can minimize the disruption to your life and save you both money and aggravation.
- Plumbing problems are usually urgent, and there is the temptation to hire the first name in the Google search or phone book – take a moment and check reviews and ratings, choosing carefully.
- Be sure that your plumber is a licensed contractor with the required California license.
- When the plumber arrives, explain the problem in detail. Inform the plumber of all relevant details of the problem and any history. The more they know about the problem the more likely the repair is to be both correct and properly priced.
- Ask for an estimate and their policy on guarantees before they begin.
- Give the plumber enough time to do the job correctly.
- When the work is done be sure that the invoice contains details of the work completed and any guarantees.
The plumber has left and a bit later you realize that the drain still won’t clear, or the pipe still leaks.
- Call the plumber and describe the current situation. Ask them to return and correct the issue. Write down details of the situation and be sure to keep a copy of your original invoice. You should not be billed for the return visit to complete the repair properly.
- If the plumber is unavailable or refuses to return, contact another plumber. Explain the situation and ask for an estimate. Ask for a detailed invoice upon completion.
- Keep all paperwork and any replaced parts as documentation.
- If there are disputes with the quality or pricing of the service, you might consider contacting the Better Business Bureau or filing a complaint with The California Contractors’ State Licensing Board.
- If you paid by credit card you may dispute the charge.
- If you are unable to resolve the problem, consider filing a claim in small claims court.
The best way to be prepared for a home plumbing emergency is to keep the phone number for SoCal Plumbers 911 handy. One call to 877-758-6237 anytime 24/7 service brings a qualified, licensed plumber to your home in short order and assures you quality work by competent contractors.